Monday, July 12, 2010

Fool of the World and the Flying Ship


Fairytales and folk tales teach children to let their imagination run wild. Drawn into the spectacular world of magic and wonder, children let their creativity expand to fantastic heights. A little imagination can transform any simple object into an instrument central to a great adventure, or a room into a world of unexpected possibilities. As a child, I was an avid reader of fairytales of all kinds – from Grimm’s collected works to Greco-Roman mythology to Celtic and Middle Eastern folklore, I was an absorbant little sponge, soaking in every word and reworking what I had read into my everyday imaginative play. In the playground I was a knight on a noble quest to slay a dragon. On the sidewalk I was a lost explorer who discovered a new universe in space. At home I was a queen with the ability to turn dolls into living people. And the museum was the ultimate location to really let loose – I was a jungle hunter who befriended animals who could talk, I was a deep sea diver who found a lost underwater civilization, and I was a time traveler who befriended cave artists. I could be a hero, a villain, or a side character. Fairytales gave me a starting point to create my own mysteries, romances, and thrilling adventures.

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship is a traditional Ukrainian folk tale, retold and illustrated by Valeri Gorbachev. In this exciting story, a young man whom everyone calls the Fool of the World sets out on a quest to marry the Tsar’s daughter, the Tsarevna. The catch is that the only way to marry her is by bringing the Tsar a flying ship. On his adventure to bring the Tsar a flying ship, the Fool of the World meets a colorful and hilarious cast of characters. As the Tsar’s list of requests grows wilder and more extravagant, so does the Fool of the World’s quest.

This story is very entertaining and sure to capture the heart of all audiences. The traditional, tried-and-true story will please both children and grown adults alike.

Pick up your copy today!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post about Fool of the World and the Flying Ship for all creative children, it helps a lot in how to guide our child's in their creativity stage. hope to see more soon, Thanks! http://www.children-creativity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Fool of the World and the Flying Ship too!! This was my all time favorite folktales!! Have you read the Rabbit Ears' version narrated by Robin Williams before? It's really hilarious!!!
    http://myrabbitearsproductionsreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete