Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Big Brother


When I was three years old, I started going to nursery school. I loved playing with other kids! I loved all the games we played and all the great adventures we invented. I loved running around in the park after school, or going ice skating in the winter. It was fantastic! I only wished that I had a friend with me all the time. My mom and dad were okay, I guess, but they weren't nearly as much fun as the kids I played with. So I told my dad one day, plainly, that I wanted one of three things: a pony, a puppy, or a sister. Simple request, I thought.

But what did I get?

A brother.

Of course, in retrospect, I realize that at the time my mother must have already been pretty pregnant. My kid brother popped out only a few months later. I remember being enormously disappointed. Not only was he a boy, he was small and couldn't play any games. I was far from thrilled.

But now, all these years later, my brother and I are pretty close. Sure, he still does things that gross me out (I mean, hey - he's a sixteen-year-old boy), but I've learned to appreciate our special bond, especially now that we live about 3000 miles apart most of the year. My brother calls me up for advice all the time, and he knows he can always call if he's having a bad day and that I'll help him sort things out. I never realized how much he relied on me!

In My Big Brother, a young boy idolizes his older brother. He's smart, thoughtful and polite, athletic, and the epitome of everything the young narrator admires. So when his big brother leaves to join the army, the narrator does his very best to be a great older brother for his younger brother.

A must-have for all children with siblings, older or younger, this book captures a heartwarming and heartbreaking portrait of familial love. Emotionally compelling, especially now, with so many big brothers going off to war, this book is guaranteed to touch anyone who reads it. Get your copy today!

My Big Brother is available in both hardcover and paperback editions, as well as in a Spanish/English bilingual print.

No comments:

Post a Comment