Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Mother's Pearls


When I was a young teenager, a sudden interest in family history led me to nearly turn the house upside down in search of photographs and relics that would somehow clue me in to the complex and fascinating story that had somehow ended with me, aged fifteen, living in New York. What I managed to unearth was a riveting story full of adventure, romance, mystery, and a whole lot of loose ends. Nonetheless, I was thrilled to have captured the essence of the wonderful story that was only a prelude to my birth. I couldn't wait to go out into the world and also have fantastic adventures, close encounters, and a bounty of stories to tell. I guess knowing more about my past, and using my imagination to fill in the blank spaces, is what ultimately pushed me to pursue creative arts and literature studies. It also opened my eyes to the endless
possibilities for writing my own chapter in my family history, making my personal mark on the space where my mother's side and my father's side collided, and leaving a legacy for whoever would come next.

In My Mother's Pearls, a young girl tells the story of a special pearl necklace that has been passed on from generation to generation of women in her mother's family. Starting in 1998 and working backwards all the way to 1788, the young narrator tells of how each woman had a special relationship to the pearls: from her mother Marianne all the way to her great-great-great-great-great-great-Grandmother Susanna, women wore the pearls while playing dress-up, on special occasions, even traveling across the sea!

Young children will love reading My Mother's Pearls over and over again. It's also a great starting point for opening a discussion on your own family's story. Pick up your copy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment